Archstorming is looking for designs for a new school that will be built in Bamako, Mali.
Register: SEP/22/2021, Submit: SEP/22/2021, Eligibility: Professional architects, architecture students, engineers, philosophers, sociologists, photographers; individually, teams up to 4 members, Fee: 60 EUR (JUN/24 – JUL/28/2021), 80 EUR (JUL/29 – AUG/25/2021), 100 EUR (AUG/26 – SEP/22/2021), +21% VAT, Awards: 1st Prize: 6,000 EUR + construction, 2nd Prize: 2,000 EUR, 3rd Prize: 1,000 EUR, 2 Special Honorable Mentions: 500 EUR each, 10 Honorable Mentions
Africa has the fastest urban growth in the world. The continent’s population is projected to double between now and 2050. Two-thirds of this growth will be absorbed by urban areas and, in the next 30 years, cities will be home to an additional 950 million people. This offers great opportunities, but also challenges for African citizens, businesses, governments and their partners. Among these cities we can find Bamako, the capital of Mali. Considering the projected population growth, many of the current 2.6 million residents will live to see the population surpass 13 million by 2050.
Having that in mind, a good urban school system is fundamental to provide education to the millions of children that will be living in the city in a few years. Especially in a context where almost 50% of kids drop out of school and don’t even complete primary education.
To achieve that goal, Archstorming is partnering up with Enko Education. A network of African schools with presence in 9 countries that provides education to more than 3.200 kids.
They are building a new school in Bamako for 550 students and are looking for innovative designs and ideas. The winner proposal of the competition will be built. Do you accept the challenge?
The new school will be located in Bamako, the capital and most important city of Mali. It has a population of 2.6 million people, of which 63% are under the age of 25 and 42% are children of schooling age.
The city has grown exponentially in the last 40 years. This translated in the urban expansion of the city which grew on both sides of the river Niger and in every direction. The population is divided almost equitably between the Rive Gauche and the Rive Droite which represents respectively 54% and 46% of the population.
Enko’s plot is located in the Rive Gauche. Just a block away of one of Bamako’s main roads, the Route de Koulikoro (or RN27). It is next to a train station that is no longer in use and will be reconverted in the next years.
The plot is located between residential buildings in both sides, and it is now being used as a parking lot. It has a rectangular shape, with a dimension of 49 x 34 m, which makes it a total area of 1.670 m2. Facing the unpaved street Rue 96 we can find its main entrance, in the north side. The plot is completely flat and there are no trees or other plants to be considered in the project.
Archstorming is looking for designs for a new Enko school that will be built in Bamako, Mali. We are seeking for an innovative project that can become Enko’s distinctive image. An architectural concept that can be used not only in this project, but also in their future developments across Africa.
The main challenges of this new school in Bamako will be:
- Function: the new school will serve 550 students. Through architecture participants will have to make sure that Enko’s values are well represented: Care, Pathmaking, Commitment and Team Spirit.
- Materials and construction techniques: they have to be realistic and respectful with the surrounding buildings and what’s currently being used in the area.
- Safety: prioritize the factors of safety of people and safety of the buildings.
- Sustainability: we are looking for an environmentally conscious project in terms of materials and energetic efficiency.
- Adaptability: provide in the building’s future development a logic growth plan to allow more students.
These aspects will have to be considered:
- The new building will be used as a Primary + Secondary school.
- The program can be all located in one building or it can be separated in more than one.
- Considering the available space, the school can be Ground Floor + 3 or Ground Floor + 4.
- The plot has to have a perimeter wall of 3 meters with a guardhouse at the main entrance.
- The playground should have some covered areas where kids can play when it is rainy. It should also be divided into a primary school playground and a secondary school playground.
- A covert parking lot has to be placed in front of the school (at the street)
- The number of students per classroom is 24/25. A total of 40 adults will also be working at the school as staff.
website | archstorming.com