Register: MAY/07/2019, Submit: JUN/20/2019, Eligibility: Architects, designers, enthusiasts, companies, students; individually, teams up to 4 members, Fee: Architects, designers, enthusiasts, companies 90 USD, students 70 USD (NOV/15/2018 – JAN/18/2019); architects, designers, enthusiasts, companies 120 USD, students 100 USD (JAN/19 – MAR/05/2019); architects, designers, enthusiasts, companies 140 USD, students 120 USD (MAR/06 – MAY/07/2019), discount for 3+ registrations from one university/school, Awards: 1st Prize: 3,000 USD, 2nd Prize: 1,500 USD, 3rd Prize: 500 USD, BB Student Award: 500 USD, BB Green Award: 500 USD, 6 Honorable Mentions
The SkyHive 2019 Skyscraper Challenge is the second annual architecture competition which searches out the latest and greatest designs for an iconic high rise structure. Participants of the SkyHive Challenge are tasked with creating a concept for a state-of-the-art tower that breaks the norm.
Participants are encouraged to incorporate new technologies and materials in their designs, as well as unique aesthetics and spatial organisations. Special consideration is also given to designs that implement innovations in sustainable systems, as well as those that look to solve economic, social, and cultural problems through the establishment of new architectural methods.
The annual SkyHive Challenge is a platform to examine the relationship between skyscrapers and the natural world, the community, and the city as a whole. It is important that designs show consideration for the impact on the surrounding environment, as well as how the increase in inhabitants will affect the current infrastructure, pollution levels, economic division, and urban sprawl.
Participants in the SkyHive 2019 are allowed to interpret the competition brief however they choose, in the most creative way possible. The SkyHive Challenge is a chance for architecture enthusiasts to potentially rewrite the definition of the modern-day skyscraper.
SUGGESTED BUILDING PROGRAMME
Participants are suggested to accommodate the following functions, with the main function being an office tower:
- Retail Component (Ground & Mezzanine Floor, preferable with separate entrance): 15,000 m2
- Grand Lobby Entrance for Offices
- Food & Beverages Outlet (In the form of a food court, designed to have access to outsiders as well as offices): 5,000 m2
- Office Spaces (Area excluding circulation): 60,000 m2
- Executive Offices (Area excluding circulation): 10,000 m2
- Ancillary facilities like busines centre, small size auditorium, Spa/Health club (Area excluding circulation): 10,000 m2
- Basement: Parking (1 Car Park every 50 m2 + 1 Car Park for 60 m2 area of retail area)
- Podium Parking: If necessary
The competition programme is flexible, open for modifications and improved development strategies.
THE COMPETITION SITE
The participants are permitted to choose a hypothetical site (130 m x 80 m) accessed by two roads on both the longer and shorter side of the site. It can be located in a city of their choice. The site context and surroundings are to be assumed.
- Maximum allowed site density 100%.
- There is no maximum building height defined.
- There is no minimum distance requirement from the road or neighbouring buildings. Participants may place their building/s at the edge of the site boundary if they find it beneficial to their design proposal.
- There are no restrictions for underground construction.