Register: DEC/07/2018, Submit: DEC/14/2018, Eligibility: Architects, designers, architecture students; individually, teams up to 5 members, Fee: 35 EUR (AUG/22 – SEP/19/2018), 60 EUR (SEP/20 – OCT/17/2018), 90 EUR (OCT/18 – NOV/14/2018), 110 EUR (NOV/15 – DEC/07/2018); +VAT 21%, Awards: 1st Prize 2,000 EUR, 2nd Prize 1,000 EUR, 3rd Prize 500 EUR, Mentions
The pace of urban life, information overload, visual and noise pollution, invasive advertising and other external factors constantly overstimulate our senses altering and distorting our perception of reality. Nowadays it is difficult to find an evocative space for inspiration, which is not only an aesthetically pleasing site, but also psychologically and emotionally neutral, where it is possible to concentrate, clear the mind, the consciousness and the artistic sensibilities. Therefore, there is a need for spaces that promote concentration, artistic inspiration and meditation. Try to imagine a space for artistic-spiritual retreat, where artists and hobbyists can spend some days developing their creativity in any focus area: write a book, carry out a dance workshop, a music program, paint, sculpt or simply meditate.
AIMS OF THE COMPETITION
To encourage innovative, contemporary and avant-garde architectural approaches that respond to the noticeable need for spaces intended for artistic inspiration and meditation, through projects that promote the psychological and emotional comfort of their users.
This competition of ideas does not specify any particular site or setting. Therefore, each contestant or team will be able to choose the location of their project.
The project may be located either as a space of inspiration in a natural context or as an introspective shelter in the city, but isolated from the urban chaos.
Nevertheless, participants will have to justify their choice of location for the project in the proposal.
Since one of the aims of this competition is to search for heterogeneous proposals and various possible locations, we hope that this global diversity will enrich the final results.
- The competition invites to design a “Hotel” where anyone can book/rent for a certain period of time (hours, days, weeks or months) not only a common hotel room, but a studio in which be inspired and creative in any form of art.
- The design of this site should be focused on creating a space that encourages creativity, calmness and concentration, allowing users to get inspired and develop their ideas.
- In regard to the project’s functionality, it will be necessary to correctly define the interaction of the proposed spaces in the Program of Requirements, as well as the use of the new proposed spaces. It is important to set out the logic behind the routes to be used by visitors and facilitate movement of persons within the edifice.
- As this is an academic competition, we are not searching for a profound technical and construction detailing. A good architectonic conceptualization and original ideas will receive the greatest consideration. Opengap encourages contestants to experiment and to formally and spatially explore new solutions. Original, creative, contemporary, and risky proposals, from the architectonic point of view, will therefore be welcomed.
PROGRAM OF REQUIREMENTS
The following program contains the basic areas to be included in the projects. Using this proposal of minimum required zones as a starting point, the contestant or team will be able to add new elements that they consider will improve their specific design.
It is a reception space for the Hotel users. It shall have a reception and customer service desk and a small waiting area. It should be a transitional space between the outside and the interior spaces.
These are spaces for each user to book/rent, according to his/her artistic activity. With a minimum total area of 60m2 it should have, in addition to the working area, a hotel room with bathroom, either separately or integrated into the same space. The Project will have at least:
- 5 Studios for visual arts (painting, sculpture, etc.)
- 5 Studios for music
- 5 Studios for meditation, literature, etc.
c. Living Room
This is comprehended as a recreation and leisure area with a coffee bar area, a small kitchen and toilets. It should be conceived as a place of exchange and liaison between artists.
In adition to Reading tables and bookcases, this área should count with a media query space.
e. Group Rooms
Two multi-functional spaces should be incorporated for group activities like dance, theater, performance, etc.
f. Room of Silence
It’s a fully soundproof space conceived solely for meditation and contemplation. Its design should channel users to a state of relaxation and introspection.
It is a space to be used to display and sell artwork produced by users of the Hotel. It will be the only external public open space. It should have an independent access from the outside or be directly linked to the lobby.
These are the minimum areas to be considered for the Project:
- Lobby: 50 m²
- 15 Studios: 900 m²
- Living Room: 150 m²
- Library: 120 m²
- 2 Group Rooms: 260 m²
- Room of Silence: 100 m²
- Gallery: 150 m²
Total: 1730 m²
This area may be distributed in various floors.