Register: SEP/17/2018, Submit: SEP/22/2018, Eligibility: Architecture students (undergraduate, graduate, master, PhD), young architects and professionals with a degree in architecture studies (≤ 40 years old); individually, (multidisciplinary) teams up to 4 member (architecture students, young architects or professionals, landscape architects, urban designers, artists, etc.), Fee: 60 EUR + VAT = 73.80 EUR (APR/30 – JUN/29/2018), 75 EUR + VAT = 92.25 EUR (JUN/30 – AUG/31/2018), 90 EUR + VAT = 110.70 EUR (SEP/01 – SEP/17/2018); VAT 23%, Awards: 1st Prize 2,000 EUR, 2nd Prize 1,000 EUR, 3rd Prize 500 EUR, 7 Honorable Mentions
The Site Memorial, located in Lisbon, Portugal, is a new landmark and a destination point inviting visitors for a unique and singular experience between the land and the water; it is a contemplative walk through history that leads to a place of gathering and a look-out point where the Tagus River becomes a powerful scenery. Lisbon has a number of significant landmarks and it is a place of great cultural heritage and historical significance. Monuments, memory and history rise from the ground and together with the Tagus River are notable features within this setting.
When generating a vision for an intervention located within such a remarkable place, it is essential that each design proposal emphasises, respects and celebrates the site, while providing visitors with a unique experience.
- Climate: Warm and temperate climate. The annual average temperature is 16.9 °C. The warmest month is August with an average temperature of 22.7 °C and the coldest month is January with an average temperature of 11.7 °C.
- Latitude: 38°42’27.24”N, Longitude: 9°8’11.51”W
- Altitude: 4 m
- Rainfall: Total average annual precipitation is 691 mm. The driest month is July, with an average of 3 mm of precipitation, and the highest rainfall is in December, with an average of 106 mm.
- Relative Humidity: The annual average relative humidity is around 70,8%.
- Winds: Predominant winds are from the north.
- ‘History Room’: 45 m2
- Restrooms: 20 m2
- Storage: 15 m2
2. Resting / Look-out point
- Resting / Look-out point: …* m2
* Area to be determined by each participant’s design proposal.
The Site Memorial proposal shall not require maintenance, the intervention should age with the landscape. There are no limitations in height, depth or extension beyond the Tagus River bank. The Site Memorial can be an enclosed area or an open space.
The overall design of the Site Memorial must be sensitive to the surrounding context. Because this is an ideas competition, urban planning and building regulations will not be applied to the design proposal.