Register: JUL/15/2018, Submit: SEP/01/2018, Eligibility: Students, professionals, architects, designers, academies, research and development institutions, enterprises; individually, teams, corporate teams, Fee: Free, Awards: 1st Prize 25,000 EUR, 2nd Prize (2 places) 12,000 EUR each, Unit Module Prize (5 places) 6,000 EUR each; Tax included
On one hand, our planet has undergone unpredictable changes in climate. On the other hand, digital technology cored with artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things has changed our lives dramatically. “Vertical Intelligent Community” embodies an understanding and response to ongoing phenomena and life expectancy in densely populated cities in Asia. Its features include vertical mixture, vertical ecology, systematic connectivity, live mechanisms, and energetic balance. To achieve fuller vitality, it is required to generate more mobility, extension, abundance, and wisdom in the areas of communications, entertainment, commerce, R&D, healthcare, and public services. At the same time, the development and construction of this project will advance integration of new technology industries, representing intelligence, informatization and clean energy, architectural design, and the general management of community systems.
The competition focuses on Building No. 3 of the International Healthcare Area Talent Apartment in Jiangbei New Area, Nanjing. A 35.1-meter-high section above the ground floor of the apartment will be utilized as the competition scope.
From the ground up to 15.3 meters will be designated as public vertical community. From 15.3 meters to 35.1 meters will be designated as the conceptual experiment unit of a future residence. The conceptual experiment unit of future residence (15.3m – 35.1m) has partial rooms no wider than 3 meters on the edges of the southern, eastern, and western sides, and 15.3 meters from the ground, encouraging overall designs that integrate into the external landscape.
Functional content includes, but is not limited to, conceptual units of future residence. However, these are mainly residential units. Other possible content includes small-scaled R&D and brainstorm centers, makerspaces, business meeting rooms, libraries, exhibition halls, cold-chain supermarkets, restaurants, coffee bars, tearooms, fitness clubs, theaters, farms, gardens, etc. that maximize flexibility and variability.
The elevator and staircase shown in the floor plan are used for the upper floors of this apartment, and the staircase serves as the safety evacuation staircase for the high-rise building (elevators and safety evacuation staircases will service both residents from the competition units and residents from upper floors). The design solution for this competition project needs to consider the transportation system for vertical communities, and also distinguish the public streamlines from the residential streamlines.
1. In general, the “Smart Tree-Vertical Intelligent Community” competition held in the International Healthcare Area Talent Apartment in Jiangbei New District, Nanjing, calls for design coordination and enabled technology. It invites global architects, designers, research and development institutions, academies, enterprises, and innovative pioneers to present integral solutions, including (or selected from) the following three content blocks:
- Integral systematic organization and integrated design;
- Integration of diverse future living modules (can be set by function);
- Key technologies and scientific innovation
Considering the competition project will be constructed and realized, the design solution must therefore be reliable and practical, both in construction and technical feasibility.
2. The competition advocates all participants as individual or group (a joint team consisting of members focusing on design + R&D + technology) to provide innovative solutions including, but not limited to, the following 7 requirements Seven requirements (key design principles):
- Create abundant publicity in high-density and vertical life
- Adapt well to changes, to the largest extent
- Utilize the Internet of Things, with mobility and connectivity
- Achieve environmental balance, from a resource perspective
- Achieve a low ecological footprint in open and integrated situations
- Create a pleasant and aesthetic environment
- Lead a practical and intelligent construction technology
3. Key points need to be considered by participants:
- The publicity of vertical life under high-density conditions in Asian cities;
- Energy efficiency solutions for high-rise buildings, including but not limited to the integrated efficiency of renewable energy, distributed energy systems, and energy usage in unit modules, etc.
- Developing the smart “brain” of architecture through data-driven design, which not only brings efficient systematic operation, but also takes subtle human emotions and needs to enable the space to integrate to the level of living and humanity.
- Combining technologies of artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things to explore and respond to space patterns and technical application scenarios such as residence, entertainment, research and development, and communication, in this era of artificial intelligence.
- Combining with the environment (buildings, parks, and cities) where participants of the “Smart Tree” create configurations that embody the functional content that best reflects residential personality, publicity, interaction, and wisdom of the future life, and which can accommodate but not limit the conceptual units of future residences, small-scaled R&D and brainstorm centers, makerspaces, business meetings, libraries, exhibition halls, cold-chain supermarkets, restaurants, coffee bars, tearooms, fitness clubs, cinemas, farms, gardens, etc. And which also achieves maximum flexibility and variability.
- Provide practical technical solutions in intelligent construction.
4. The following qualify as bonus points:
- Joint-team participants bring in technology solutions, including intelligent construction, the Internet of Things, information technology, energy, new materials, artificial intelligence, VR & AR, etc.
- Propose the economic evaluation in terms of building operations, energy management, etc., and/or business innovative models originating from functional configurations, etc. that come along with technical optimization and systematic collaboration design.
For the winning design solution of the Unit Module Prize, the project party will communicate with the awarded team about any issues and details involving actual implementation.