Register: AUG/31/2018, Submit: AUG/31/2018, Eligibility: Architecture, landscape, planning or design students; professionals, architects, designers, thinkers; individually, teams up to 5 members, Fee: 35 USD (MAY/10 – JUN/10/2018), 45 USD (JUN/11 – JUN/30/2018), 55 USD (JUL/01 – JUL/31/2018), 65 USD (AUG/01 – AUG/31/2018), Awards: 1st Prize 500 USD, 2nd Prize 300 USD, 3rd Prize 200 USD, 10 Honorable Mentions
Future House is pleased to announce its third annual international design competition: Future House 2018 – Modular House. The competition is designed to challenge and seek the creation of a modular house with ideas and concepts in architectural design, as well as landscape design and site planning. The aim of this competition is to promote our ideas for space utilization, as well as focusing on awakening the perception of the building process, while simultaneously raising awareness of the sustainability.
This year’s competition focuses on modular house, an extraordinary architectural style with sectional prefabricated components. A typical modular house consists of multiple sections called modules, meanwhile “modular” is a method of construction differing from other methods of building. Those sections are made off-site (eg. in a factory), and then delivered and assembled onsite. This process can cut up to half the time required for a traditional build, but with a comparable lifespan to other buildings. With less time spent onsite, this means less damage to the environment. Entrants are challenged to conceive a new and original concept for modular house, however not strictly limited to the style of ‘pre-fabricated structure’. A degree of flexibility and alternative choices are allowed, from ‘private home’ to ‘social house’, from ‘mixed-use apartments’ to ‘student residences’, provided it is backed up with adequate justification. The main philosophy of your submitted work is defined as “modular technology”.
There is not any specific site location for this competition, as it mainly collects ideas and concepts and aims to create an exemplary prototype for all the new future houses to follow. Applicant shall choose a fictional location for their conceptual idea and proceed a design work. The requirements of customized location are as below:
- Entrants are challenged to conceive a new and original concept for modular house, however not strictly limited to the style of ‘pre-fabricated structure’. A degree of flexibility and alternative choices are allowed, for example ‘partially pre-fabricated’, provided it is backed up with adequate justification.
- The project theme is defined as a “Modular House”. The design philosophy should be affordable, practical, convenient, efficient and easy to construct. The house plan should NOT be in relatively large scale. It’s optional to design a temporary structure or permanent building.
- The topography and landforms can be also customized. Entrants might add river, lake, stones, animals or any other elements that probably support your theme. Please note that your designed house will be produced in “modules” that when put together on site, reflects your identical design intent and specifications of the most sophisticated facility.
- The area of picked up location has no limitation, but should fit your design concept and theme. The landform, topography, area, surrounding environment can be customized without any limitations, while they should be adjusted to your Modular House. Any landscape design, site planning could be part of your output.
- The main concept of your submitted work can be architectural design, landscape design, urban planning work, but each kind of design work should focus on the main topic of this competition – Future House: Modular House.