Register: MAR/23/2018, Submit: MAR/23/2018, Eligibility: Architecture students, architects or related professions; individually, teams up to 8 members (members can be from different universities and countries, and from all disciplines: artists, philosophers, photographers, etc.), Fee: 40 EUR + IVA (DEC/18/2017 – FEB/08/2018), 70 EUR + IVA (FEB/09 – MAR/01/2018), 90 EUR + IVA (MAR/02 – MAR/23/2018); IVA 21%, Awards: 1st Prize 6,000 EUR + construction of the proposal, 2nd Prize 4,000 EUR, 3rd Prize 2,000 EUR, 10 Honorable Mentions
In 1989, the Cabildo of Lanzarote acquired the Polidimensional Center known as El Almacén in its capital Arrecife and proce eded with its rehabilitation to turn it into a cultural and leisure center that reactivated the area and became a popular me eting point. With this action it was also intended to intervene in the adjacent space to complement the cultural activities that took place there, however for various reasons it ended up becoming an unregulated parking lot and traditionally part of the Carnival celebrations of Arrecife.
This space has always been a green area in the Urban Plan of the city. That is why the people of Lanzarote promote an initiative to change this and turn this space into a lung and cultural heart of Arrecife. Aware of the need to value creation and culture and offer the city a place of leisure and enjoyment, the Cabildo of Lanzarote is launching a contest of ideas to create a space for people, not for vehicles. A green space, which protects from the sun, where children play, where concerts are held, markets are opened … In short, a place of encounter, of passion, of art and a place for the citizen, a changing square, a more human square.
The space object of the intervention is located in the center of the city of Arrecife. It is the square of “El Almacén”, delimited by:
- To the north: Calle la Porra
- To the south: Calle Canalejas
- To the east: Existing building (dividing)
- To the west: José Betacort Street
One of the factors that marked the growth and development of Lanzarote was its link to water, or rather to its scarcity. That is why we must take into account the future construction of a Storm Tank in the square, which design is not subject of this contest. This type of infrastructure is located in the basement of the square, which is why you cannot raise buildings below ground or large trees.
The demographic increase of the island along with the strong growth of artistic currents makes that one of the priority demands are spaces that serve as support for the development of culture, leisure and recreation.
The main objective of this project is to turn El Almacén square into an urban point of culture and social encounter. For this, the following factors must be taken into account:
- Shade: In a place where the temperature is stable all year round, with 24ºC in summer and 17ºC in winter, it is important to forese e areas of surplus in an urban void such as this.
- Biosphere Reserve: An important factor to take into account, as we have previously said, is the recognition of Lanzarote as a Biosphere Reserve. This implies that any initiative has as its premise respect for the environment, protection of the environment and natural resources and sustainable development.
- Energy efficiency: The use of renewable energies will be valued both to supply the plaza and the Cultural Innovation Center “El Almacén”.
- Vegetation: It is also recommended to provide green areas.
- Storm Tank: You cannot raise buildings under ground or large trees. (You do not have to define this object.)
- Demolition: The demolition of the existing building that “breaks” the plaza. Enabling a more quadrangular square and a greater opening to the surrounding streets.
- Mediating: The dividing wall with the adjacent building must be respected as a video projection space (video mapping) giving the square a changing quality every so often.
- Shaded and living areas.
- Outdoor cultural activities (film series, jam sessions)
- Stage for concerts, shows, plays, etc. (may be fixed or removable)
- Outdoor market (removable)
- Temporary exhibitions of art
- Installation of bar bars or terraces in festivals
- Videomapping (using the façade of the dividing building)
- WiFi point
- Electrical connection with capacity to feed booths, concerts, projections
Particularly important or valuable features:
- Sustainability and energy efficiency. The square with an area of more than 1,000 m2 can be a source of solar use either for the activities that are going to be developed as a possible source of power for El Almacen building.
- Environmental Protection: The intervention must be respectful with the Environment, proposing a sustainable use.
- Treatment of facades of the surrounding buildings. The dividing wall of the adjacent building will be used as a white screen of Video Mapping that of a changing aspect to the square.
- Shade: Elements will be available to hang different elements that shade the square. In addition to the need to include vegetation.
- Accessibility: It must be accessible to all people with reduced mobility.
- Tours: Access must be provided for vehicles for loading and unloading at specific times. The rest of the time will be a pedestrian square (and environment).
- Polyvalence: The mixture and the different uses should be encouraged.
The Cabildo of Lanzarote has a Material Execution Budget of 350,000 Euros.