Register: DEC/15/2017, Submit: FEB/02/2018, Eligibility: Designers, company; individually, teams; only to U.S. legal residents 18 years of age or older, with valid U.S. mail and email addresses; Fee: Free, Awards: Grand Prize 25,000 USD, 2nd Place Prize 5,000 USD (popular vote)
Park Avenue, one of the world’s premiere thoroughfares, is traditionally known for its tall buildings that are home to Fortune 500 companies. The medians of Park Avenue, or the “centerlines,” are traditionally characterized by plantings and periodic sculpture installations. Park Avenue medians represent a traditional element of New York City but also provide an opportunity for reinvention. Other areas of New York City, such as the High Line, have successfully transformed into an exciting destination for city dwellers and visitors alike.
Fisher Brothers is pleased to sponsor a $30,000 privately-funded design competition using the Park Avenue medians (between 46th – 57th Streets) as a canvas for collecting visionary design proposals with the potential to enliven Park Avenue’s commercial district. The goal of this competition is to foster creativity and challenge participants to think outside the box; to propose exciting ideas that have never been considered possible for the medians; and to reimagine the existing urban landscape. We want ideas that bring Park Avenue into the 21st century.
Fisher Brothers urges competition participants to think “beyond the centerline,” using the medians as a blank canvas for creative ideas to engage the community and reimagine Park Avenue. Designs should be considered a seed that when planted will completely change the dynamic of the Park Avenue centerline and the Midtown East neighborhood. We encourage you to conceptualize this project in any way that inspires you and the parameters remain broad to allow for maximum creativity.
- The ability to interpret artistically what will invigorate Park Avenue is entirely up to you.
- Designs may incorporate multiple, single or partial medians.
- The current medians are approximately 200 ft. long and 19’6” wide (east to west). For the purposes of this competition, please do not feel constrained by these numbers.
- Currently, objects placed on any one median cannot exceed 8,000 lbs. Again, for the purposes of this competition, please do not feel constrained by these parameters.
- Designs must allow for pedestrians to cross over Park Avenue.
- Selected designs will be provided with a 4’ x 4’ table/floor area for their display at Park Avenue Plaza.
This is a privately-funded competition using the Park Avenue medians as a theoretical canvas to reinvent the Park Avenue commercial district of 46th Street to 57th Street. There is no guarantee projects will be implemented.