Register: MAR/01/2018, Submit: MAR/01/2018, Eligibility: Architecture, landscape, planning or design students, designers, architects, professionals; individually, teams up to 5 members, Fee: 35 USD (NOV/01 – NOV/30/2017), 45 USD (DEC/01 – DEC/31/2017), 55 USD (JAN/01 – JAN/31/2018), 65 USD (FEB/01 – MAR/01/2018), Awards: 1st Prize 500 USD, 2nd Prize 300 USD, 3rd Prize 200 USD, 10 Honorable Mentions
House in Forest is pleased to announce its second annual international design competition: House in Forest 2018 – Timber House. This competition is designed to challenge and seek to explore the fantastic ides of architectural design, as well as landscape design and site planning. The aim of this competition is to promote our ideas of protecting the forest and its environment, as well as focusing on urban design problems, while simultaneously raising awareness of the sustainability.
This year’s competition focuses on timber houses, an extraordinary architectural style with traditional methods of building with heavy timbers, creating structures and joined timbers with other components.
We also encourage the creation of new living style which is not only limited for houses, but also can be like pavilions, structures, or landscape.
The competition committee will not provide any specific location in any country or region. Entrants shall pick up one fictional location for their design project. The requirements of customized location are as below:
- Entrants are challenged to conceive a new and original concept for timber house, however not strictly limited to the style of ‘full-timbered structure’. A degree of flexibility and alternative choices are allowed, for example ‘half-timbered’ or ‘partially wooden’, provided it is backed up with adequate justification.
- The project area is defined as a “forest area”. The location must be in a forest, or surrounded by the forest, while the density of forest is customized.
- The topography and landforms can be also customized. Entrants might add river, lake, stones, animals or any other elements that exactly exist in a real forest.
- The area of picked up location has no limitation, but should fit your design concept and theme.
- The main concept of your submitted work can be Architectural Design, Landscape Design, Planning Work, but each kind of design work should focus on the main topic of this competition – House in Forest – Timber House.