Register: NOV/14/2017, Submit: NOV/14/2017, Eligibility: Everyone, professionals, designers, students; individually, multidisciplinary teams, Fee: Free, Awards: 1st Prize 5,000 CAD (Canadian dollar), 2nd Prize 3,000 CAD, 3rd Prize 2,000 CAD
The purpose of this competition is to raise awareness of Indigenous Housing in Canada and improve opportunities available to design, deliver and maintain housing for remote access Indigenous Canadians. There are over 600 Indigenous Communities in Canada with over 60 ethnic groups located in diverse landscapes, many with remote access. Current housing is provided by Indigenous Communities or with funding from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada. Housing demand can exceed supply causing overcrowding.
The location may be any remote access Indigenous Community in Canada not served by year-round allweather roads. Transportation to communities is currently limited to air, sea lift or temporary winter road during February and March. Winter road width restriction at bridges is 4.9 metres.
The design may be focused on one aspect of housing or comprehensive in its approach by addressing one or up to six design portals and optional keywords identified below:
- Vision – Overall objective, processes how it will be achieved
- Place – Response to climate, bioregion, geology, history, development
- Sustainability – Use of local materials, labour and energy
- Community – Community, culture and family
- Growth – Flexibility to adapt for or accommodate growth
- Funding – Alternative funding arrangements, partnerships, volunteerism, owner participation