Register: AUG/31/2017, Submit: NOV/10/2017, Eligibility: Professionals in architecture, urban planning, landscape, exhibition, interior design; individually, teams (the leader of the team must be an architect), Fee: Free, Awards: 1st Prize 50,000,000 KRW (South Korean won) (about 43,515 USD) + Design Contract 1,278,000,000 KRW (about 1,112,270 USD); 2nd Prize 30,000,000 KRW (about 26,100 USD); 3rd Prize (2 entries) 10,000,000 KRW (about 8,705 USD) each; Honorable Mentions (2 entries) – 5,000,000 KRW (about 4,350 USD) each
Samcheock city is in the administrative district of Gangwon Providence and it is a nodal area of tourism for the East coast of Korea. Historically, Yisabu, a general/administrator of Silla(one of the nations of ‘Three Kingdoms Period’ in the Korean Peninsula), launched in 512 A.D. his voyage to Usanguk (an island nation in East Coast of Korean Peninsula, now Ulleungdo and Dokdo). It is one of the important evidences showing that Dokdo is the territory of the Republic of Korea.
As a result, Samcheok city established a project to enhance Yisabu and exalted Yisabu as a representative figure of Samcheok city. Moreover, it has been promoting various projects to promote historical and cultural significance of incorporating Usanguk. In the meantime, it has been consistently suggested that information related to Yisabu should be conveyed through the creative and specialized space so that people can experience its symbolic meaning.
This is the background of “Yisabu Dokdo Memorial Park International Competition”. Specifically, it is planned to create a monumental place for Yisabu and Dokdo in the vicinity of Jungrajin Mt. Yukhyang and Obon Port, which are known to be related to the port of departure to Usanguk. Participants of the competition should plan a memorial space that integrates history and culture by utilizing the tangible and intangible assets of the Yisabu’s incorporating Usanguk and the planning should include programs such as education, publicity, experience, and play/leisure regarding to Dokdo, as well as spatial plans that can respond to various arts and cultures.
Site Area 24,614㎡
Local Districts: Natural green area, Degree 1 residential area, Degree 2 residential area, general commercial area, cultural heritage protection zone.
- The site consists of about 109 parcels (about 24,614 square meters) in addition to 82-1 Jengsan-dong at the center of Mt. Yukhyang, and it is located about 2 km southeast of the intersection of Jungang-ro (road) in Samcheok city.
- It is adjacent to Samcheok Port, and has a mining and shipping factory site on the east and south of the site.
- There are old residential facilities in the west and north. The apartment complex on the site and the factory site in the east and south were constructed through reclamation projects in the estuary of Ohsipcheon. (Ohsip Stream)
- Among the existing buildings, there are important ones including the Jungra-dong Fire station, Jungra-dong Community center, and the Misoo temple. These are considered to be worth preserving or conserving.
- Jungra-dong Fire station should be considered as a priority for conservation thanks to the significance and aesthetic value of its architecture associated with the local area.
- The Jungra-dong Community Center, which is in good condition, can be similarly reused by remodeling.
- Misoo temple hosts sacrificial rites. It is necessary to plan spatial space in connection with the cultural assets on the site (Monuments Chukju-Donghaebi and Daehan Pyungsoo-tochanbi).
Submission Deadline: NOV/10/2017 by person, NOV/16/2017 by post