Register: 04/22/2017, Submit: 04/22/2017, Eligibility: Professionals, students, Fee: Professionals 200 USD, students – free, Awards: Grand Prize 10,000 USD, Runner-up 5,000 USD, Student Prize 1,500 USD + scholarship (two-year Masters Architecture studies – value over 50,000 USD)
We discover concepts that have the power to change the hotel industry. Each year, we put out a call for entries. Our criteria? Show us what the hotel environment can be. Wow us with creativity and feasibility. Finalists are selected by a jury and flown to New York City to compete on the Radical Innovation stage. There, finalists present to an audience of hotel developers, owners, executives and designers who vote for the grand prize winner.
Radical Innovation, a platform promoting disruptive, industry-changing ideas within the hotel space, is looking for new concepts that present opportunities for the hotel guest and the hotel business. With an expanded interest in moving ideas from concepts to reality, we are asking participants to submit hospitality concepts that provide not only new meaningful travel experiences for consumers, but also new revenue growth opportunities for owners, investors, operators, contractors and vendors.
Since its founding in 2006, Radical Innovation has awarded over $100,000 to creative thinkers with visionary ideas in hotel design and operations. Past winners have included Koi, a bridge hotel designed by MMPlanners, Driftscape, a drone-hotel concept designed by architectural firm HOK, and ZOKU, a concept that blends coworkspaces with the hotel. ZOKU opened its first property in Amsterdam in 2016.
- Concept (built or unbuilt) must be truly innovative and offer the market something that is not widely available.
- Concepts must include guestrooms and lobby/public areas.
- Including food and beverage facilities (and other amenities) is optional, but recommended.
- Multiple entries by a single entrant (or company) are permitted.
- Built entries must have been completed within 18 months of the competition.
- Must be able to provide a notarized disclosure form and certification of project originality and authenticity, if your entry makes it to the final four or the Special Judges Award.