Design for transformation of Slovak University of Technology campus courtyard in Bratislava.
Register: JUL/14/2021, Submit: JUL/14/2021, Eligibility: Architecture students; individually, teams, Fee: Free, Awards: 1st Prize: 2,000 EUR, 2nd Prize: 1,500 EUR, 3rd Prize: 1,000 EUR
The goal of the competition is to obtain ideas for a representative center of STU in Bratislava, Slovakia. It should include the STU innovative science center, educational, social, multi-purpose and leisure spaces such as interiors, exteriors and part of the rector’s workplaces. The STU center should serve to students, teachers, researchers and STU employees, as well as profession experts, municipal authorities and the public. Its goal is to create conditions for cooperation of the professionals and academic environment, and to serve as an important city space for communication with public. This would be emphasized by the openness of the area and its connection to the main public spaces of the city.
The importance of a common center is crucial, given the fact that STU is located not only in several buildings but also at few locations in Bratislava.
The diverse localization and the absence of the common campus of STU motivate the creation of the common representative center with intention to strengthen the importance of the historically established University core, today formed by 4 faculties:
- Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology
- Faculty of Architecture in the city center
The proposed development location in the city center, its location in relation to the main urban spaces (Náměstí Slobody, Kollárovo square, Starohorská street) with links to important buildings in the area such as the Government, the Ministry of Transportation and Construction of the Slovak Republic, the National Bank of Slovakia, the Slovak Radio and Television building, the New Stage theater or the Design Center, provide preconditions for a synergistic effect of the new STU University Center and the strengthening of importance and visibility of STU.
OPERATIONAL AND USER REQUIREMENTS
In terms of operation, it is necessary to strengthen the existing connection to the main public spaces – Nám. Slobody and Radlinského street, as well as to the main communication and social areas of faculty buildings, especially at ground level. It would be appropriate to look for other forms of connections between individual buildings. From the point of view of the operator, it is appropriate to use the level below the terrain to the maximum extent, and potential connections between individual buildings in a form of „bridges”, so that the space of the block serves primarily public functions.
The economic and sustainability aspects are crucial for the design of the new construction and transformation of the STU Innovation Center complex.
For this reason, it is appropriate to evaluate, to the maximum extent, the existing spaces of the surrounding buildings of individual faculties, their roof planes or atriums. A suitable transformation of the heavy laboratory building is also a challenge.
The design of buildings or a set of buildings, as well as verification of the possibility of transformation of the heavy laboratory building in the courtyard of the STU campus in Bratislava must include the following functional spaces:
- Innovative interdisciplinary research center STU, startup center, cooperation with practice: 4,000 m2
- Presentation (experiential) center of science and research: 1,000 m2
- Administrative offices of the Rectorate in connection to research: 500 m2
- Social, exhibition and multipurpose spaces: 1,000 m2
- Media library, study rooms: 500 m2
- Workshops: 300 m2
- Info services, entrance area: 500 m2
- Catering, restaurants, cafes: 500 m2
- Technical background: 500 m2
TOTAL: 8,800 m2 (recommended: 7,500 m2 – 10,000 m2)
- Underground garage (under the building and part of the yard) (approx. 300 places): 7,500 m2
TOTAL: 16,300 m2 (recommended: up to 17,500 m2)
Local program for the use of free space:
- Spaces for gatherings
- Spaces for relaxation
- Educational spaces in the exteriors
- Areas for presentations and exhibitions
- Areas for formal and informal meetings
- Outdoor seating for social events – Amphitheatre
- Sport grounds
- Minimization of parking spaces at above-ground level
An important part of the transformation of the STU courtyard is the possibility of implementation in stages.
website | inspireli.com |