Register: SEP/30/2019, Submit: OCT/01/2019, Eligibility: Professionals, architects, designers; architecture, landscape, planning or design students; individually, teams up to 5 members, Fee: 35 USD (JUN/01 – JUN/30/2019), 45 USD (JUL/01 – JUL/31/2019), 55 USD (AUG/01 – AUG/31/2019), 65 USD (SEP/01 – SEP/30/2019), Awards: 1st Prize: 500 USD, 2nd Prize: 300 USD, 3rd Prize: 200 USD, 10 Honorable Mentions
House Challenge is pleased to announce its annual international design competition: House Challenge 2019 – Desert House. The competition is designed to challenge and seek the creation of a temporary dwelling with ideas and concepts in architectural design, landscape design and site planning. The aim of this competition is to promote our ideas of exploring the possibilities for living in harsh environments, as well as simultaneously raising awareness of the environmental sustainability. This year’s competition focuses on the Desert House, an extraordinary architectural type with creative design methods to adjust the demands of a house to a specific site environment.
- The project area is defined as a ‘desert area’.
- The competition seeks the creation of a temporary dwelling for a group of 4-6 people to live comfortably with ideas and concepts in architectural design with site planning.
- Your designed desert house has to feature the most basic components for people to live around 90 days.
- Provided the site is located in a desert and belongs to a community with similar houses, possible solutions about plumbing and electricity should be figured out.
- Entrants are challenged to conceive a new and original concept for temporary house in the desert, however not strictly limited to the style of ‘residence’. A degree of flexibility and alternative choices are Allowed, for example ‘portable cabin’ or ‘transportable home’, provided it is backed up with adequate justification.
- There is not any specific site location for this competition, as it mainly collects ideas and concepts and aims to create an exemplary prototype for all the new houses to follow. Applicant shall choose a fictional location for their conceptual idea and processed a design work. We also encourage the creation of new living style which is not only limited for houses, but also can be like pavilions, structures, or landscape.
- The design philosophy should be affordable, practical, convenient, efficient and easy to construct. The house plan should not be in relatively large scale.
- The topography and landforms can be also customized. Entrants might add other elements that probably support your theme. Please note that your designed house will be produced in desert that when putting together on site, reflects your identical design intent and specifications of the most sophisticated facility.