Register: JUN/09/2019, Submit: JUN/12/2019, Eligibility: Architects, interior designers, students, graduated, freelancers; it is not compulsory to be experts in design disciplines; individually, teams (any number of members; members can be from different countries, cities and universities ), Fee: 50 EUR (APR/15 – MAY/12/2019), 100 EUR (MAY/13 – JUN/09/2019; +22% VAT, Awards: 1st Prize: 5,000 EUR, 2nd Prize: 3,000 EUR, 3rd Prize: 1,000 EUR, 2 Honorable Mentions “Gold”: 500 EUR each, 10 Honorable Mentions, 30 Finalists
In the world, Italy is a synonym for tradition. It is the country of bell towers, picturesque views and memory. It is a constellation of tastes, perfumes and knowledge that has been refining over the centuries. This created a plurality of cultures and products. Spaghetti, pizza, fashion, motors, culture, beauty and the variety of areas are part of a heritage that is now known worldwide. This heritage has ancient origins. Often, it shined through in internationally renowned brands. In other cases, it is still hidden in the workshops of master craftsmen as a prerogative of niches, experts and connoisseurs.
To this end, CODE launches Italian Tradition Market. It will be the first market of handcrafted Italian excellences of Art, Craftsmanship, Food and Wine production and Areas. It will be a place to preserve, spread and explain the complexity of a magnificent country. It will do so through the diversity of its products and traditions.
Italian Tradition Market will be situated in the foundations of an ancient Roman theater. It will display the very best of Italian craftsmanship and food and wine production.
Among similar buildings, the Roman Theater is the first masonry one. Back in 88 B.C., the theater already had a diameter of 75 meters and could accommodate 7000 spectators. It is a highly symbolic place. Its origins date back to the glories of an empire that forged the history of Bologna and Europe with its highs and lows. It is the ideal place to show the best of past and present Italy. Indeed, on the wake of such ancient empire’s heritage, Italy built its own tradition of values and excellences.
Italian Tradition Market is a competition dedicated to architects and interior designers. It aims at transforming the spaces of the former Roman theater of Bologna into a center to enhance and trade the handcrafted and food and wine excellences of Made in Italy. The market will be situated in a highly central position in the city of Bologna, a few steps away from the main square Piazza Maggiore and close to the street Via d’Azeglio. With its annual 7 million visitors, the new market will be a reference point for the inhabitants of the city. It will also be a unique destination for thousands of tourists and visitors. It will not be a space where to merely sell and taste the excellences of Made in Italy. It will be a real cultural center aiming to spread and enhance the awareness of the Italian production tradition. Thanks to spaces dedicated to exhibitions, all the visitors of Italian Tradition Market will have the chance to live a true sensorial journey. This will enable them to taste and know the countless facets of Italian culture by seeing the related products. There will also be a permanent archeological exhibition dedicated to the Roman Theater, an elegant and refined exhibition gallery, meeting rooms, a cafeteria, a restaurant and a pub (enopolium in the Roman Age). These are just some of the spaces that will transform this area of Bologna into one of the classiest and most sophisticated destinations of the Bolognese tourist offer. It will be a cultural salon for the inhabitants of the city. It will be a delightful place where to appreciate the kaleidoscopic range of tastes and excellences of Made in Italy. With reference to the functional outline, designers will have to design the following spaces.
- Craftsmanship gallery; here there will be the exhibition of the handcrafted productions of Made in Italy. This place will have to display and sell the very best of the Italian manufacturing tradition. Glasses, bicycles, ceramics, leather goods and decoration items are just some of the countless products that can be situated in this place.
- Food and wine gallery; the food and wine gallery will be a real encyclopedia of the huge and inestimable Italian food tradition. It will show products as the pistachio nuts of Bronte, the hazelnuts of Piedmont, the cold cuts of Emilia Romagna and the olives of Apulia. It will be a place where to live a journey of colors, tastes and perfumes from all the Italian regions.
- Restaurants; visitors will have the chance to purchase but also try products. Italian Tradition Market will have to be a place where visitors can taste typical dishes and products of the Italian food tradition. The offer will include different formats:
- Cafeteria; it will be dedicated to visitors in a hurry. They will have the opportunity to have a drink or a quick snack before or after trying the captivating offer of the facility.
- Pub; it will be a place where to taste the typical dishes of the Italian culinary tradition in an informal space.
- Restaurant; it will be dedicated to more demanding users. Here, they will find calm and high-level rooms where to live an exclusive and refined experience.
- Archeological space; this will be the museum space dedicated to the exhibition of finds that tell the story of the Roman theater and the ancient Bologna.
- Conference rooms; they will be flexible and reconfigurable spaces to host specific events connected to the lively cultural offer of the facility.
- Exhibition spaces; they will be plain and elegant spaces to create different artistic routes or installations to animate the Bolognese cultural offer.